This is made with black skinned (black boned) chicken which can be found in Chinese grocery stores.
- Black skinned chicken- tonifies kidney yang
- Mai men dong/ opiophogon tubers – tonifies yin
- Burdock root- good for skin, blood and
- Shitaki mushrooms-tonifies kidneys
- Kelp strips- mineralizes, tonifies yin
- Black rock salt
Broth also made with:
- Bai shao peony
- Bamboo mushrooms
- Porcini mushrooms
- Mu er mushrooms
- Chinese licorice
Boil chicken in enough water to cover with astragalus, opiophogon, , kelp, bai shao licorice, mushrooms and salt, simmering for one hour. Remove the chicken, mushrooms and kelp from the broth and strain. Cut off meat in a fine dice as well as the kelp. Finely dice the burdock root, the yams, garlic and mushrooms. Return to the broth and simmer 20 minutes.